6 Things You Can Do Right Now To Help Stop Deep Seabed Mining
Deep-Seabed Mining is a destructive new industry championed by careless corporations that will permanently destroy our last unexplored ocean ecosystems. For the first time in a generation, we have an opportunity to stop a destructive new industry before it begins. Join us in fighting back before it’s too late. Here are six things you can do today:
1. Click to share this video with your friends, family, and social networks!
2. Tweet the Secretary-General of the International Seabed Authority (aka the head of the ISA) Micheal Lodge @mwlodge:
@mwlodge #DeepSeaMining would cause irreparable harm to our #ocean – our planet’s life support system. We stand with science in using the precautionary principle and calling for a moratorium to #DefendTheDeep
3. Call (212) 963-6470: The Office of the Permanent Observer for the International Seabed Authority to the United Nations and say:
A healthy deep sea makes life on Earth possible. Science warns that deep-sea mining will cause irreversible damage. I stand with science in calling for a moratorium on Deep Seabed Mining so the ocean and humanity can thrive for generations to come. We don’t need it. We don’t want it. It isn’t worth the risk.
4. Join us! Sign up for our newsletter to receive updates for more action items as we continue to grow our campaign to #DefendTheDeep!
5. Click to play GAME OVER!
Visit http://www.savethehighseas.org/gameover/ to help Dumbo defend her home from deep-sea invaders and discover the enormous risks involved in deep-sea mining. Don’t forget to enter the DSCC’s leaderboard for the chance to win a special prize! At the end of the game, you can take the action to email and tweet your Prime Minister or President calling for a moratorium!
6. Educate yourself! Read our blog posts and discover some of our favorite resources on the issue.
Fauna & Flora International’s report A Risk and Impact Assessment of Seabed Mining to Marine Ecosystems
IUCN Report Deep Seabed Mining – a rising environmental challenge